THE OLOMOUC MILITARY BAND
The Olomouc Military Band traces its heritage from the era of the Austrian Empire. The majority of the band‘s time was not only spent in rehearsing and performing, but also in guarding supplies or headquarters installations. After the First World War the Ministry of Defence of Czechoslovakia made a decision to establish 43 military bands in total. Later on, in 1945 the
Band of 4th Infantry Regiment was located in Olomouc. Currently, the Olomouc Military Band is famous as a representative brass orchestra consisting of 46 musicians and two conductors. All the members are required to have graduated from the Military Music Academy, or state music academies, also JAMU or AMU. Consequently, their educational background and profesionalism is reflected in the artistic quality of the entire orchestra and their mastery of various music genres. The Olomouc Military Band performs throughout the Czech Republic, mainly Moravia, in military ceremonies as well as supporting a variety of community relations and international activities. It closely cooperates with the Czech Radio /Český rozhlas/, the Military Music Academy, the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra and participates in many well-known music festivals abroad /Denmark, Poland, Austria, Germany and Italy/. Displaying a multitude of versatility, the band is capable of performing in any musical setting. Whether playing the latest in concert repertoire, marching in military reviews and parades, performing music of former and contemporary works of Moravian composers /Miloš Machek, Mojmír Zedník, František Maňas, Jiří Volf/, the band still keeps a tradition of education concerts at schools alive. There have been many extraordinary conductors leading the orchestra, such as Dr. Robert Šálek, Karol Mikuláštík, Adolf Hamerský, Karel Pitra, Jindřich Zbožínek, Otto Vymětal and Vladimír Peter. Currently, the Bandmaster of the Olomouc Military Band is Major Gustav Foret tightly cooperating with his deputy Captain Richard Czuczor.